- 18 jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick-peas), drained
- 1 1/4 cups light ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Olive oil-flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped plum tomato
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added tomato juice
- 1/2 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 328
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fat 6.6 g
- satfat 2.9 g
- monofat 1.6 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 19.6 g
- carbohydrate 50.2 g
- fiber 0.0 g
- cholesterol 17 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 392 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Cook shells according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add beans and next 6 ingredients. Process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; saute until tender. Add chopped tomato and next 6 ingredients; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 15 additional minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Set aside.
Spoon bean mixture evenly into shells. Spoon 1 cup tomato mixture into an 11- x 7- x 1 1/2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange shells in prepared dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over shells. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 additional minutes.