Although the rub was very tasty, I prefer a flank steak marinated. I served this with buttered noodles and red beats. I was easy enough to make, but if I were to make it again, I think I would try to slow cook it.
Stuffed Rolled Flank Steak
For a tasty side dish for the stuffed flank steak, serve hot, buttered noodles sprinkled with chopped parsley or prepare penne pasta topped with your favorite marinara sauce.
Yield: Makes 5 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 273
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 2.9g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 276mg
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- 2 teaspoons pink, green, or black peppercorns (or a combination)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped drained oil-packed dried tomatoes
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1 3/4 lb.)
- 1. On a hard, flat surface, with the bottom of a glass (or with a mortar and pestle), coarsely crush peppercorns. Put in a small bowl and mix with parmesan cheese and dried tomatoes.
- 2. Rinse flank steak and pat it dry; trim off and discard fat. Lay steak flat on a board and spread peppercorn mixture evenly over meat. Starting from one end, roll steak tightly around filling into a neat, compact log. Tie with heavy cotton string at 2-inch intervals. Wrap log tightly in plastic wrap and chill up to 1 day.
- 3. Place a 10- to 12-inch frying pan with ovenproof handle over high heat. When hot, remove rolled steak from plastic wrap, add steak to pan, and turn to brown evenly on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer pan with steak to a 400° regular or convection oven; bake until a thermometer inserted in center of thickest part of meat registers 135° for medium-rare, 45 to 50 minutes (35 to 40 minutes in convection), or until beef is as done as you like.
- 4. Transfer steak to a rimmed cutting board and let rest about 5 minutes. Remove and discard strings. To serve, cut steak crosswise into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This