I love grilled or broiled portobellos, but this recipe was only mediocre and a lot of work. I used the food processor to speed things up, but note the one hour total cooking time. Definitely not a meal by itself.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Olives and Caramelized Onions
Photo: Karry Hosford
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 246
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 700mg
- Calcium: 134mg
- 4 (4-inch) portobello mushroom caps
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove stem and brown gills from undersides of mushrooms using a spoon; discard gills. Place mushrooms, stem side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes; cool mushrooms on wire rack.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 12 minutes. Stir in wine, vinegar, 1 teaspoon thyme, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in olives, rind, and pepper.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/2 cups. Combine 1 teaspoon thyme, crumbs, cheese, and parsley. Spoon 1/2 cup olive mixture into each mushroom; top with about 3/4 cup cheese mixture. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Olives and Caramelized Onions Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes