- 6 Green Peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf Basil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds lean Ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long -grain rice
- 1/2 cup Shreeded Mild Cheddar Cheese optional
How to Make It
Cut tops off peppers, remove seeds and membraines. Chopp dible part of tops and set aside. Rinse peppers under cold water. Place peppers in large pot, cover with salted water.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.
Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Saute chopped greeen pepper (from tops), chopped onion, and chopped celery for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add to,matoes, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer for about 10 minuteds.
In a large mixing bowl, combine egg with remaining 1 teaspoon pepper, and Worchestershire sauce. Gently stir to blend; add ground beef, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3 quart bakng dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes. If desired, top stuffed peppers with a little shredded Cheddar Cheese just before peppers are done. bake until cheese is melted.