This recipe was spectacular!! I didn't put chickpeas in it but I did add Italian Seasoned ground turkey wich was a GREAT choice!! Aslo mixing in the mozzarella with the mixture was a must. If you use ground turkey then only use 1 TBS of olive oil for sauteing.
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Susan Vajaranant
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 297
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 765mg
- 3 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 5 large bell peppers, any color, 1 seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 15-oz. can stewed tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced, optional
- 1. Stir rice into 6 cups of boiling water. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Divide rice among 3 bowls. Cover 2 bowls; chill for Chicken Fried Rice and Rice and Bean Burritos. Toss chickpeas into remaining rice.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Halve 4 bell peppers lengthwise, core and seed. Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove; invert on towels to drain.
- 3. In a skillet, warm oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, diced bell pepper and zucchini; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and sauté 2 minutes; toss with rice mixture. Add half of mozzarella, if using.
- 4. Place peppers in a baking dish. Divide filling among peppers. Cover with foil; bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove foil. Top with remaining cheese, if using; bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note