We love these peppers! The sauce on top is so good, and they are perfect for leftovers. I also cooked my peppers in the oven for 15-20 min at 425 before stuffing them (instead of the microwave). For the filling, I made the following alterations: I used one pound of italian turkey sausage instead of beef; I used about 1 cup of cooked brown rice; I added one cup of chopped zucchini and chopped the pepper tops and sautéed it with the onions to increase the veggies in the filling. And I used the entire jar of pasta sauce (2.5 cups). I was able to fill 6 small-med peppers and still have about 1/2 cup of leftover filling, which my 3 year old loved for dinner. We will make this again, and might even add in more veggies next time!
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 347
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 747mg
- Calcium: 284mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups bottled tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (such as Classico), divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Set aside.
- While rice cooks, cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at high 2 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Cool.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and the next 5 ingredients (beef through allspice); cook 4 minutes or until beef is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Add rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, and cheese to beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- While beef cooks, combine 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce and wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; add wine mixture to pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve peppers with sauce. Garnish with pepper tops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes