Very good reviews from family. I microwaved the peppers for three minutes. Some only wanted half as the peppers were kind of large. Great flavor! Will definitely make again. **Made these again. I do use a whole pound of beef. I don't use boil in bag rice, but leftover, so estimate about1.5 cups. I cut the peppers in half lengthwise, microwaving for 2 min and easily filled 8 halves without changing any other ingredient proportions. This will go into our favorites category!
Spiced beef and rice fill these tender, flavorful peppers. Bringing the sauce to a boil before adding it to the dish cuts down on the overall cook time of this 45-minute recipe.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed pepper and 1/3 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 347
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 747mg
- Calcium: 284mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups bottled tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (such as Classico), divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Set aside.
- While rice cooks, cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at high 2 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Cool.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and the next 5 ingredients (beef through allspice); cook 4 minutes or until beef is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Add rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, and cheese to beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- While beef cooks, combine 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce and wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; add wine mixture to pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve peppers with sauce. Garnish with pepper tops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes