Loved these peppers! Like others, I used some hot Italian sausage in addition to ground beef. I also used smoked paprika. Yummy!
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 347
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 747mg
- Calcium: 284mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups bottled tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (such as Classico), divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Set aside.
- While rice cooks, cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at high 2 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Cool.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and the next 5 ingredients (beef through allspice); cook 4 minutes or until beef is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Add rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, and cheese to beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- While beef cooks, combine 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce and wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; add wine mixture to pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve peppers with sauce. Garnish with pepper tops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note