I made these on Easter for family - they are fabulous! I made 1/3 the recipe for the 4 of us. I used cremini mushrooms; a combination of sweet and hot sausage; double fiber bread, lite cream cheese. I forgot the parm topping but a great filling didn't need it!
Photo: Mark Thomas; Styling: Gerri Williams
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 117
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 4g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Sodium: 241mg
- 24 large (2- to 2 1/2-inch) button mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped seeded red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (from about 4 slices)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Mist a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Set a wire rack over a second rimmed baking sheet. Wipe mushrooms with a damp kitchen towel. Remove stems from mushrooms; reserve. Brush mushroom caps with 2 Tbsp. oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place stem-side down on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until mushrooms are softened and exude juices. Remove from oven and transfer mushrooms caps, stem-side down, to the wire rack. Let cool. Discard any accumulated liquid.
- 2. Trim ends and finely chop enough of the reserved stems to make 1 cup. Warm remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add chopped mushroom stems, onion, red bell pepper and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese until melted. Add bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Add up to 1/4 cup chicken broth if mixture appears dry.
- 3. Mist a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set mushroom caps in dish, stem side up. Mound filling mixture on mushrooms and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake until topping is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Also featured in: Homemade for the Holidays SIP, All You, December 2013
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note