Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
- 4 large mirlitons
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups refrigerated shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: fresh chives
- Bring mirlitons and water to cover to a boil in a large saucepan; boil 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Cut in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch shell; chop pulp, and set shells aside.
- Peel shrimp, and remove veins, if desired.
- Sauté shrimp, onion, and next 3 ingredients in hot oil 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink; remove from heat. Stir in mirliton pulp, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 4 ingredients; stuff evenly into mirliton shells. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables