Stuffed Fried Green Tomato Casserole
Prepare Basic Tomato Sauce first so the fried green tomatoes don't cool and get soggy while you're waiting for it to cook.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 6 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine eggs and milk in a shallow bowl or pan. Set aside.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish or pan.
- Dredge tomato slices in baking mix; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture, reserving remaining breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry tomatoes, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle hot tomatoes evenly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place half of tomatoes in a single layer in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; spoon 1 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce over fried green tomatoes, and sprinkle evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Layer remaining fried tomatoes evenly over cheese. Spoon remaining sauce around tomatoes, being careful not to pour sauce on tops of tomatoes. Sprinkle reserved breadcrumb mixture over casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles