Stuffed Eye of Round
Fusté's husband prepares this dish for special occasions. The colorful, savory filling uses Spanish chorizo to lend a lovely smoked flavor.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed roast slice, 4 teaspoons sauce, and 2 potato quarters)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 268
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 29.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 435mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 1/3 cup diced bottled pimiento
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 5 large green olives, chopped
- 4 ounces lean smoked ham, diced
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo, diced
- 1 hard-cooked large egg, finely chopped
- 1 (3-pound) boneless eye-of-round roast, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- To prepare filling, combine pimiento and next 5 ingredients (through egg); set aside.
- To prepare beef, cut a 2 1/2-inch-wide horizontal slit into the end of the roast, and cut through to the other end to form a deep pocket using a long, thin knife. Spoon filling into pocket, and pack using the handle of a wooden spoon (the roast will be very full). Secure open end of roast with twine 1/2 inch from edge. Combine salt, cumin, thyme, pepper, and garlic; rub over the roast.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Add 2 cups water and remaining ingredients to pan; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 2 hours or until roast is tender, turning roast after 1 hour.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board or work surface. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a platter; keep warm. Simmer liquid in pan until reduced to 1 cup (about 15 minutes). Discard bay leaf.
- Remove twine before cutting roast into 12 slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note