- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 1/2-ounce) can minced clams, undrained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 20 clam shells
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Rock salt
- Sauté celery, mushrooms, green pepper, green onion, and 1 tablespoon parsley in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, and cook 1 additional minute. Add clams and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of clam mixture into egg; add egg mixture to remaining clam mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder. Place 1 tablespoon of clam mixture into greased clam shells. Set clam shells aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and melted butter; toss lightly. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over clam mixture. Top with 1/4 cup parsley, and sprinkle with paprika.
- To bake, pour enough rock salt into a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish to cover bottom (salt helps shells sit upright); arrange filled shells on salt. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note