Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Sweet-and-Sour Tomato Sauce
Yield: 6 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 6 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 McIntosh apple, chopped
- 1 cup cooked country ham, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Garnishes: fresh thyme and basil sprigs
- Saute onion in 2 tablespoons hot olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add walnuts and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes or until thickened; cool slightly.
- Pulse mixture in a blender or food processor 3 or 4 times or until smooth; keep warm.
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Toss together apple, ham, and thyme. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of apple mixture onto each chicken breast; roll up, securing with wooden picks.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add chicken, and cook 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat; cover and cook 7 to 10 minutes or until done. Drizzle with sauce. Garnish, if desired.
- Prep: 20 min., Cook: 1 hr.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes