Stuffed Calamari in Tomato, Spinach, and Basil Broth
- 16 cleaned calamari (tubes and tentacles)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove tentacles from calamari; set tubes aside. Chop tentacles to measure 1 cup.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and 1 tablespoon garlic; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved tentacles, 2 tablespoons oil, breadcrumbs, and next 3 ingredients. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Fill calamari tubes about three-fourths full with breadcrumb mixture, and secure the tubes with wooden picks.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Add stuffed calamari; sauté over medium-high heat 1 minute or just until calamari start to brown. Add remaining 1 tablespoon garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in clam juice and wine. Bring broth to a boil; add tomato and next 4 ingredients. Cook 2 minutes (do not overcook). Remove broth from heat; add butter, stirring until butter melts. Remove wooden picks.
- Place 4 calamari in each of 4 individual bowls. Pour broth evenly over calamari; sprinkle with cheese.
- Note: If calamari are large, prepare 12 and count 3 to a serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This