Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Yield: Makes 12 cabbage rolls
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (32-ounce) jar sauerkraut
- 1 (32-ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cook cabbage in boiling water to cover 8 minutes or until tender; drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together sautéed onion, beef, and next 7 ingredients.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf; fold sides over meat mixture, and roll up.
- Place a thin layer of sauerkraut on bottom of a large skillet. Pour 2 cups tomato juice over sauerkraut. Top with cabbage rolls. Spoon remaining sauerkraut over cabbage rolls. Drizzle with remaining tomato juice and lemon juice.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for 45 minutes or until done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes