I substituted mild Italian sausage for half of the beef. The finished product was very good, though a little too sweet. Next time I'll use tomato sauce instead of ketchup to reduce the sweetness.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Community Recipe from
- 4 bell peppers, any color
- 5 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 pound(s) lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cup(s) cooked rice
- 1 cup(s) chopped/diced tomatoes fresh or canned, drained well
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
- 1/2 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/2 cup(s) steak sauce, (Heinz 57 or A1)
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
- dash(es) of 'tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare bell peppers, by washing first, I usually cut my peppers horizontally in half, remove the stem end, and remove seeds or cut top off peppers 1 inch from the stem end, and remove seeds, wash, set on paper towel to drain excess water.
- 2. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Remove skillet from heat, add meat, rice, tomatoes, and oregano, 1/2 cup ketchup, ½ cup steak sauce and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well. (You may find it easier to put the ingredients at this point into a large bowl and mix together with your hands.)
- 3. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil inside the peppers. Arrange the cut side of the peppers up in a baking dish, then stuff peppers with filling. Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl, then spoon over filling. Add 1/4 cup of water to the baking dish. Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes (or longer, depending on how big the peppers are that you are stuffing), until the internal temperature of the stuffed peppers is 150-160°F.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Ellen35045 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes