- 3.46 ounces white rice flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 ounces brown rice flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 1.4 ounces tapioca flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 1.6 ounces cornstarch (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 3 large eggs
- Peanut oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- calories 250
- fat 18.8 g
- satfat 4.5 g
- monofat 7.8 g
- polyfat 5.1 g
- protein 1.6 g
- carbohydrate 23 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- cholesterol 36 mg
- iron 0.3 mg
- sodium 47 mg
- calcium 11 mg
How to Make It
Weigh or lightly spoon flours and cornstarch into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flours, cornstarch, sugar, and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a food processor; process 2 times or until blended. Add butter; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and eggs; process until dough forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; chill 1 hour.
Divide dough in half. Roll each half of dough into 30 (1-inch) balls.
Add oil to a Dutch oven to a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium-high heat until a thermometer registers 360°. Add half of dough balls to pan; cook 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon; cool on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining dough balls.
Add honey to a large saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Add fried dough balls to honey mixture, tossing to coat. Cool 2 minutes.
Place on a serving platter. Drizzle with any remaining honey, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.