Strudel Spinach/Kale Appetizer
Community Recipe from
- 2 cup(s) All purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon(s) Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole(s) Egg
- 1/2 cup(s) White wine
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1 pound(s) Spinach or Kale (you can use frozen spinach)
- 1/2 pound(s) Sausage of your choice
- 1 pinch(s) Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Salt more if you like depends on sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Red Pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) Olive oil
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoon(s) Water
- Pour the flour onto a wooden cutting board in the shape of a mountain. Open a well in the top. Mix the olive oil, egg and wine together and gradually pour into the well mixing in the flour with a fork as you add the liquid. Continue to pour and mix the mixture until you can knead the dough with your hands. Knead the dough for a good 7 to 10 minutes stretching it as you knead it. Once the dough is smooth, shape it into a ball, lightly coat it in olive oil, place it in a small bowl and let it rest on the counter for at least 2 hours. The dough should be very glossy. After it rests, it is ready to roll out. Roll out till paper thin and you can see through it.
- Filling (you can use whatever proportions you like - more vegetables and less sausage or visa versa):
- Remove the large stems from the fresh spinach or kale and then place in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from water, drain thoroughly and finely chop.
- Saute the sausage with a small amount of olive oil, add the spinach, cinnamon, salt, red pepper and olive oil (if necessary). Mix well for a few minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Roll out the dough and place the spinach mixture in a long log shape about 1" in diameter. Roll the dough up. Put it in a pan and brush with the egg wash (1 egg and 2 tbls water). Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Best if eaten warm.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by artschumann and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Strudel Spinach/Kale Appetizer Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers
More Recipes for Main Dishes