Strong Bonito Stock (Katsuobushi Dashi)
Photo: Aya Brackett; Styling: Alessandra Mortola
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 45
- Calories from fat: 4.2%
- Protein: 5.2g
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 4.5g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 412mg
- Cholesterol: 4.7mg
- 2-in.-long piece kombu (dried edible kelp)
- 1 ounce bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
- 1. Put kombu and 2 cups water in a small pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, about 20 minutes. Just before water begins to bubble, discard kombu.
- 2. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add bonito flakes, pressing with a spoon to submerge, and immediately shut off heat. Let flakes settle to bottom of pot, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined strainer into a bowl. Wring out all liquid from cheesecloth into bowl.
- Make ahead: Up to 2 hours at room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note