- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 3/4 cups tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (such as Classico), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 4 (6-inch) hoagie or French bread rolls, toasted if desired
- 1/2 cup preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- calories 417
- fat 13 g
- satfat 6 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 2 g
- protein 34 g
- carbohydrate 41 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 68 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 849 mg
- calcium 226 mg
How to Make It
Combine sirloin, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup sauce, and salt in a bowl; shape mixture into 12 (1-inch) meatballs.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Drain well. Wipe pan with a paper towel.
Return meatballs to the pan over medium-high heat. Add green bell pepper and onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add 1 1/2 cups sauce; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon meatball mixture into rolls; top with mozzarella cheese and, if desired, basil. Let stand 1 minute before serving to melt cheese.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes Sugars 5g.