Striped Ribbon Sandwiches
These striped ribbon sandwiches are the perfect finger food for a holiday party, wedding shower or any get-together. Make them ahead and cover sandwiches with a slightly damp paper towel and plastic wrap, and place in an airtight container.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 33
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 4.7g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup seeded and coarsely shredded peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup nonfat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 16 (1/2-ounce) slices very thin white bread
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices very thin whole-wheat bread
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Combine bell pepper mixture, tomato paste, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in food processor, and process until smooth. Return mixture to skillet, and cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until thickened. Spoon mixture into a bowl, and let cool; cover and chill.
- Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels, pressing until barely moist. Combine the cream cheese, blue cheese,1/8 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Stir in cucumber; cover and chill.
- Spread 2 tablespoons bell pepper mixture over each of 8 slices of white bread; top each with a slice of wheat bread. Spread 2 tablespoons cucumber mixture over each slice of wheat bread; top with remaining white bread.
- Trim crusts from sandwiches. Cut each sandwich into quarters, making rectangles, squares, or triangles. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
- Note: If made ahead, cover sandwiches with a slightly damp paper towel and plastic wrap, and place in an airtight container.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Striped Ribbon Sandwiches Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres, Sandwiches
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead, No-Cook
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Cheese, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor
- OCCASION: Weddings
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light