this is an easy make ahead delicious recipe that I served at a brunch for 6 people. it received rave reviews. I made it with pecans instead of the walnuts as that is what I had on hand.
Streusel-Topped French Toast Casserole with Fruit Compote
This make-ahead breakfast casserole features slices of French toast arranged in a pie pan and and a layer of sweetened dried fruit. The casserole is topped with a sweet, buttery streusel topping before baking. For a special finishing touch, dollop with whipped topping.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 9 Hours, 35 Minutes
- Calories: 376
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 61.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 492mg
- Calcium: 86mg
- 1 cup unfiltered apple cider
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1. Bring cider to a boil in a small saucepan. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup (about 4 minutes). Add cranberries and raisins; let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Combine milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and eggs, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Line bottom of dish with half of bread in a single layer. Pour half of egg mixture over bread; let stand 1 minute. Spread cranberry mixture over bread. Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, flour, oats, walnuts, and brown sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6. Uncover bread mixture and flour mixture. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch