Just made the pavlovas as I had a guest that can't have the balsamic vinegar (made traditional strawberry/kiwi w/ whipped cream). The pavlovas were excellent and worked even in humid weather!! I reduced the amount of vanilla in half as I like a "whiter" pavlova and were still very flavorful. Will use this recipe from now on!
Strawberry-Topped Pavlovas with Honey-Balsamic Sauce
The components of this dessert can be prepared in stages and assembled shortly before serving. Store meringues in an airtight container at room temperature up to one week; refrigerate strawberries and sauce for up to two days. Garnish with mint.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 182
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 43.9g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 29mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 3 quarts strawberries, quartered
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- To prepare strawberries, combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar; cover and chill.
- To prepare meringues, cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 5 (4-inch) circles on each piece of paper. Turn paper over; secure with masking tape. Place cream of tartar and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat). Beat in vanilla. Divide egg white mixture evenly among 10 drawn circles on baking sheets. Shape meringues into nests with 1-inch sides using the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 250° for 1 hour, rotating baking sheets after 30 minutes. Turn oven off, and cool meringue nests in closed oven 30 minutes. Carefully remove meringue nests from paper. Cool completely.
- To prepare sauce, combine vinegar and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cook until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup (about 5 to 6 minutes). Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon stick; stir in honey.
- Place 1 meringue nest on each of 10 dessert plates; top each serving with about 3/4 cup strawberry mixture. Drizzle with about 2 teaspoons sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Strawberry-Topped Pavlovas with Honey-Balsamic Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This