I've made this recipe twice already to rave reviews. As designed, it doesn't cut very easily or prettily, but is so delicious no one cares.
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 361
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 3.8g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 253mg
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- 4 cups quartered strawberries
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces good-quality strawberry jam (9 tbsp.)
- Best Butter Cake
- 1. Make filling: In a large bowl, combine strawberries, 2 tbsp. sugar, the zest, and juice. Let sit 10 minutes.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk cream with remaining 4 tbsp. sugar until it holds a stiff peak.
- 3. Assemble cake: Using a serrated knife, slice both cake layers in half horizontally. Set rounded tops aside to use as middle layers. Dollop 1 tbsp. whipped cream onto the center of a cake stand (to hold cake in place). Place 1 of remaining layers on stand, cut side up. Spread with about 3 tbsp. jam. Sprinkle with about one-quarter of the sweetened strawberries, along with some juice. Then dollop one-quarter of the cream over strawberries. Repeat with second and third cake layers, using the reserved rounded tops.
- 4. Place the remaining layer on the top of the cake, cut side down. Mound the remaining whipped cream in the center and spread to about 1 in. from the edge, then sprinkle with remaining strawberries.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts