Too much sugar, not a healthy recipe.
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
This classic layered dessert features slices of pound cake brushed with strawberry jam, creamy custard and fresh strawberries. Once you have layered all the ingredients, just cover and chill until you're ready to serve.
More From Allyou
Chill: 1 Hour
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 71g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 218mg
- Sodium: 255mg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf pound cake, cut into 16 slices
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 cups thinly sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons triple sec (or orange juice)
- 1. In a pan, combine milk and salt. Warm over medium heat until milk is just below a simmer. In a bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and eggs until smooth.
- 2. Whisking constantly, slowly pour 1/3 of milk into sugar mixture. Whisk mixture back into pan with remaining milk; return pan to medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl; whisk in butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic, pressing it directly on surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour.
- 3. When custard is cool, arrange cake slices on a work surface. Spread one side thinly with jam. Line bottom of a glass trifle dish with 1/3 of pound cake slices, jam side up. Top with 1/3 of strawberries, and drizzle with 1/3 of triple sec. Spread with 1/3 of custard. Repeat layering until you have used all cake, berries, custard and triple sec, ending with custard. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note