my husband gobbles this up every make it! followed recipe exactly with good results.
Strawberry Shortcake Jelly Roll
Fresh strawberries and whipped cream make this a lovely springtime dessert. A curl of orange rind adds a nice garnish.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cake slice, about 1/2 cup berries, and about 2 tablespoons whipped cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 59.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 97mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 179mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- 4 cups quartered strawberries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 (10-ounce) jar strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Orange rind strips (optional)
- Combine the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour; stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Set aside.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar, egg whites, and egg yolks in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Stir in lemon rind and vanilla. Sift half of flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in. Repeat procedure with remaining flour mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Loosen cake from sides of pan; turn out onto a dishtowel dusted with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off wax paper; let cake cool 2 minutes. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Place, seam side down, on a wire rack; cool completely (about 1 hour). Unroll carefully; remove towel. Spread jam over cake, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Reroll cake, and place, seam side down, on a platter. Cut into 8 slices.
- Beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Serve strawberries and whipped cream with cake. Garnish with orange rind, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts