I have made this for my family on multiple occassions and they always love them! The shortcakes are light and deliciously crumbly and the recipe provides generous portions.
- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Stir together first 3 ingredients; let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir together eggs and 3/4 cup whipping cream; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Place shortcakes on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups whipping cream with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Stir in vanilla.
- Split shortcakes. Place 1 cake bottom on each of 8 individual serving plates. Spoon half of whipped cream mixture over shortcakes. Top with strawberry mixture, and dollop with remaining whipped cream. Add cake tops, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Note: To make 1 large shortcake, pat dough into 2 lightly greased 9-inch cakepans. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with half each of strawberries and whipped cream. Top with second cake and remaining berries and cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly
- CUISINE: Authentic, American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Spring, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living