Well-written recipe. I think chilling the crust was key for such a saucy filling. Omitted the butter. Wonderful tartness that can be served with or without milk.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 20 Minutes
Chill: 10 Minutes
Bake: 45 Minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 1/2 cups fresh (1/8-inch-thick) rhubarb slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Combine first 4 ingredients; stir in strawberries, rhubarb, and lemon juice. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Roll 1 piecrust to an 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Chill 10 minutes.
- Spoon strawberry mixture into piecrust; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining piecrust to an 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange in a lattice design over filling. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°, and bake 30 more minutes or until crust browns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note