Was very good. Used my own crust recipe. This is actually a very easy recipe to make and would be good for a beginner.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 302
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 3.5g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- About 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- About 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (1/2 in. thick)
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb (1/2 in. thick; about 2/3 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. In a food processor or a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt. Cut all but 2 teaspoons butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture. Whirl or rub in with your fingers until fine crumbs form. Add 1/4 cup water; whirl or stir with a fork just until dough holds together. Pat into a smooth 5-inch round. Wrap airtight and freeze until slightly firm, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, gently mix strawberries, rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and cardamom.
- 3. On a lightly floured board, roll dough into a 14-inch round. Slide onto a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet; if dough tears, press back together.
- 4. Stir berry mixture; spoon evenly onto pastry, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold dough border over edges of fruit, tucking to incorporate excess pastry.
- 5. Melt remaining 2 teaspoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl in a microwave oven at full power (100%), about 15 seconds. Brush pastry rim with butter and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 6. Bake in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until pastry is browned and fruit bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes.
- 7. Let cool at least 30 minutes. Slide a long metal spatula under pastry to release. Slide pie onto a platter. Serve warm or cool. Cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note