Strawberry Pistachio Semifreddo
Semifreddo marries the richness of ice cream with the ethereal texture of frozen mousse. Both dramatic and easy, it makes a great dinner-party dessert.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted, roasted shelled pistachios
- 8 ounce(s) strawberries, hulled (abt. 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 3 large egg yolks room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup(s) cold heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1. Line a standard 5x9" loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2" overhang on all sides. Pulse pistachios in a food processor until coarsely chopped (some will break down to a coarse grind). Transfer to a small bowl; do not wipe food processor clean. Place strawberries & 3 tablespoons sugar in processor; puree until smooth & transfer to a fine sieve set over a bowl. Stir puree, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids.
- 2. Combine egg yolks & remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Beat on high speed (or vigorously by hand) until pale yellow & tripled in volume, about 3 minutes. Transfer bowl to a larger bowl of ice water; stir until mixture is very thick & cool, about 3 more minutes.
- 3. Beat together cream & vanilla in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Whisk 1/2 of the whipped cream into the egg mixture, whisking until smooth, then fold into the remaining cream with a rubber spatula just until thoroughly incorporated.
- 4.Pour 1/2 of cream mixture into the strawberry puree. Gently fold together until thoroughly incorporated, then pour into the loaf pan & smooth the top. Fold pistachios into the remaining cream mixture & pour evenly over strawberry cream; smooth top. Fold plastic wrap over surface & freeze at least 12 hours & up to 3 days. To serve, peel plastic from surface. Invert pan onto a cutting board. Unmold semifreddo, remove plastic wrap & cut crosswise into 3/4" thick slices.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Strawberry Pistachio Semifreddo Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts