Photo: Christopher Baker; Styling: Linda Hirst
More From Coastal Living
Cool: 2 Hours
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, lowfat cream cheese, or Neufchâtel, softened*
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 quart strawberries, halved or quartered
- 1. Preheat oven to 250°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- 2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until very foamy. Add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating 2 to 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves.
- 3. Drop meringue onto prepared pan. Gently spread meringue with a rubber spatula into a 10-inch round on prepared baking sheet. Bake 1 1/2 hours. Turn heat off, and let cool in oven about 2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely.
- 4. Loosen meringue from parchment paper with a spatula or knife, and transfer to a plate or cake stand. Stir together mascarpone cheese and next 3 ingredients. Spoon cheese mixture onto meringue; top with orange segments and berries.
- *If mascarpone or cream cheese is thick, thin with 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note