So light, refreshing and delicious! Used fat free half and half which certainly makes for an iciest texture but the WWer Pts plus value of 1pt is an absolute winner!
Strawberry Mint Ice Cream
A simple syrup infused with the flavor of fresh mint sweetens this strawberry ice cream. Macerate the strawberries in the syrup before adding them to the ice cream to prevent the berries from freezing too hard. Refrigerate the mix just long enough to chill it thoroughly, or you can make it up to a day before you plan to freeze it.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 274
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 48mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (1-ounce) package fresh mint
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- Combine half-and-half and milk in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and egg yolks; beat with a mixer at high speed until thick and pale. Gradually add half of hot milk mixture to yolk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 2 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl. Cool milk mixture completely, stirring occasionally.
- Combine remaining 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at high 2 1/2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add mint to hot syrup; steep for 5 minutes. Remove mint; discard. Pour syrup over berries; let stand for 20 minutes. Add berries and syrup to milk mixture; stir well. Cover and chill, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon the ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note