More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 197
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 33.9g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 104mg
- Calcium: 137mg
- 1 (32-ounce) carton vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon imitation black walnut extract
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 whole strawberries with caps
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly, melted
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Place colander in a 2-quart glass measure or medium bowl. Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth, allowing cheesecloth to extend over edge of colander. Spoon yogurt into colander. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate 12 hours. Spoon yogurt cheese into a large bowl; discard liquid. Cover and chill.
- Place parchment paper over a large baking sheet. Draw 3 (8-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over, and secure with masking tape.
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy; add black walnut extract. Gradually add 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat).
- Divide egg white mixture evenly among the 3 circles on the paper; using the back of a spoon, spread egg white mixture to fill the circles.
- Bake at 200° for 2 1/2 hours or until dry. Turn oven off, and let meringues cool in closed oven at least 12 hours. Carefully remove meringues from paper; set aside.
- Combine 8 whole strawberries and jelly in a small bowl; toss gently to coat. Drain strawberries, and discard remaining jelly. Place glazed strawberries on wax paper; set aside.
- Add sour cream, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla to yogurt cheese; stir well. Gently fold in quartered strawberries.
- To serve, place 1 meringue circle on a serving platter, and gently spread with half of yogurt cheese-strawberry mixture. Top with another meringue circle; gently spread with remaining yogurt cheese-strawberry mixture. Top with remaining meringue circle; sift 2 teaspoons powdered sugar over top of torte, and garnish with glazed strawberries.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts