Delicious. I followed the recipe exactly, and the results were fantastic. I used farm fresh strawberries, so of course, the strawberry flavor was sweet and delicious. Initially upon reading the recipe, I was worried that the lemon flavor would be overpowering, given the amount of lemon juice and zest, but as it turned out, the lemon was very subtle. It balanced very nicely with the sweetness of the strawberries and the additional sugar on top. The overall flavor reminded me a lot of a strawberry flavored Pop-Tart. I made a second batch to give to some neighbors. I loved the other reviewers suggestion of using fresh blackberries in the fall.
We loved these fruity sour cream muffins fresh from the oven and topped with Strawberry Curd. You might want to make a double batch since these muffins won't last long.
More From Southern Living
Total: 42 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine flour and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- 2. Stir together sour cream and next 4 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold strawberries into batter. Spoon batter into lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans, filling three-fourths full. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 1 minute; remove from pans to wire rack, and cool 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note