Although my attempt doesn't look like the picture, these s cookies are absolutely delicious. I will make these again. I did have to cook them longer than the instructions said. I added ten more minutes so the middle would set, but that was too much time. Next time? I'll try five more minutes.
Strawberry-Lemon Shortbread Bars
More From Southern Living
Total: 8 Hours, 8 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, fresh strawberry slices
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together flour, powdered sugar, and 1/2 tsp. lemon zest in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Press mixture onto bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and beat just until blended after each addition. Stir in fresh lemon juice and remaining 1/4 tsp. lemon zest, beating well.
- 4. Spread preserves over shortbread. Pour cream cheese mixture over preserves, spreading to edges. Bake 28 to 32 more minutes or until set. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover and chill 4 to 8 hours. Cut into bars; garnish, if desired.
Refrigerate leftovers. Store them in an airtight container up to 2 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note