I normally always read reviews on recipes before I use them. However this time I was limited on certain ingredients and had to search for a recipe that I could make with what I had. I found this recipe and gave it a try. Big Mistake!!! Along with the other 1 stars I agree, this cake is terrible. Dense, bland, tasted like dough. I spit it out without even chewing. Whole cake got dumped in the trash.
Strawberry Layer Cake
Garnish this strawberry layer cake with fresh strawberry halves for a pretty presentation. You can use fresh orange juice instead of Grand Marnier in the cream cheese frosting.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 348
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 57.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 212mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 1 1/4 cups sliced strawberries
- 10 ounce all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (orange-flavored liqueur)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 12 whole strawberries (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, place sliced strawberries in a food processor; process until smooth.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in egg whites. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add pureed strawberries and food coloring; beat just until blended.
- 4. Divide batter between 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- 5. To prepare frosting, place cream cheese, 1/3 cup butter, and liqueur in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, and beat just until blended.
- 6. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Cut 1 whole strawberry into thin slices, cutting to, but not through, the stem end. Fan strawberry on top of cake just before serving, if desired. Cut remaining 11 strawberries in half. Garnish cake with strawberry halves, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts