Strawberry Jam Shortcakes
More From Southern Living
Stand: 2 Hours
Bake: 15 Minutes
- 2 (16-oz.) containers fresh strawberries, quartered
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut up
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and, if desired, almond extract. Cover berry mixture, and let stand 2 hours.
- 2. Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 2 Tbsp. sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- 3. Combine flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl; cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until crumbly.
- 4. Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop dough by lightly greased 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet. (Coat cup with vegetable cooking spray after each drop.)
- 5. Bake at 450° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- 6. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Stir together strawberry jam and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint. Spread cut sides of bottom shortcake halves evenly with jam mixture. Spoon about 1/2 cup berry mixture onto each shortcake bottom; top each with a rounded Tbsp. chilled whipped cream, and cover with tops. Serve with remaining whipped cream. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts