I thought this was quite a good cake. I had the same problems as others with there being enough batter, so instead I put it in an 8" cake pan and instead of a layer I just swirled the jam on top. It came out really light and fluffy and not overly sweet. Very good.
Strawberry Jam Crumb Cake
For convenience, you can freeze this breakfast treat for up to two weeks.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 191
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 31.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 123mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- Crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar strawberry spread (such as Smucker's)
- To prepare crumb topping, lightly spoon 1/4 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, lightly coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. Lightly spoon 1 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine powdered sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes). Add vanilla and egg; beat 2 minutes. Combine milk and juice; add to sugar mixture, and beat 2 minutes.
- Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; stir until smooth. Add remaining flour mixture, and stir just until combined.
- Spoon half of batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Top with strawberry spread. Spoon remaining batter over strawberry layer, spreading evenly. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Strawberry Jam Crumb Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch