Strawberry Ice Cream
Yield: about 5 quarts
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Mash strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar; cover and chill overnight.
- Combine remaining sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large Dutch oven; gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a metal spoon, 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Beat 3 eggs and egg yolks. Stir one-fourth of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs; add to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until mixture coats the spoon. Cool to room temperature; chill several hours. Stir in vanilla.
- Fold strawberries into chilled custard mixture; stir well. Pour mixture into freezer can of a 5- quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Let ripen 1 1/2 to 2 hours before serving. Scoop into individual bowls, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Ice Cream/Sherbet