This pie is beautiful, but the middle is awful! The custard like texture does not pair well. The crust and strawberries were great!
Strawberry Cream Pie
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck and Caroline Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (9-oz.) package chocolate wafer cookies
- 1/2 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 qt. fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients and 2/3 cup sugar in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Whisk together half-and-half and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl; gradually add to cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly.
- 2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl; cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse wafer cookies and chopped chocolate in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until finely crushed. Stir together cookie crumb mixture, melted butter, and remaining 1/3 cup sugar; firmly press mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 5. Spoon chilled half-and-half mixture into prepared crust. Cut 8 to 10 strawberries in half, and arrange around outer edge of pie (leaving tops on, if desired); hull and slice remaining strawberries, and arrange in center of pie.
- 6. Cook jelly in a small saucepan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until melted. Remove from heat, and stir in liqueur. Brush jelly mixture gently over strawberries. Chill, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note