- 1 (15-ounce) package gluten-free devil's food cake mix (such as Betty Crocker)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (1-ounce) package gluten-free vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1/2 (8-ounce) containers frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1/4 cup Chambord (raspberry-flavored liqueur; optional)
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- calories 248
- fat 9.6 g
- satfat 6.6 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 3.5 g
- carbohydrate 38.4 g
- fiber 0.6 g
- cholesterol 57 mg
- iron 0.3 mg
- sodium 46 mg
- calcium 57 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using unsalted butter, eggs, and 1 cup water. Pour batter into an 8-inch square metal baking pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 38 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
Combine milk and pudding mix in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk 2 minutes. Cover and chill 5 minutes. Fold in 1 container whipped topping.
Cut cake into 1-inch squares. Layer half of cake in bottom of a 4-quart trifle bowl. Brush cake with 2 tablespoons liqueur, if desired; spread half of pudding mixture over cake. Layer half of strawberries over pudding. Reserve 1/4 cup of remaining whipped topping. Top strawberries with remaining 1 1/4 cups whipped topping. Repeat layers with remaining cake, liqueur, if desired, pudding mixture, and strawberries. Cover and chill 8 hours. Dollop center of trifle with reserved 1/4 cup whipped topping, and drizzle with chocolate syrup just before serving.
You can also serve this trifle in individual glasses. You may need to cut the 1-inch cubes of cake into smaller pieces, and then just layer in the ingredients, creating two layers. Top each with a dollop of whipped topping; drizzle with chocolate sauce.