I made this last night for a sweet treat. My wife and Daughter loved it. We thought it was a bit sweeter than needed to be, but it did not stop us from eating it. Simple to make, with very little prep. Used 9 inch Cake round pans, with parchment paper instead of drawing a circle and spreading it out. They came out of the oven fine. Our next batch will be to use 1/2 Splenda 1/2 sugar to see if the taste remains true. Will make this again for my wife's family, as they are all girls and love these sort of deserts.
Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 184
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 34.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 112mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed and divided
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 2 (8-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over, and secure with masking tape.
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half of the mixture into each circle on prepared baking sheet using the back of a spoon. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until the meringues are crisp.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1 teaspoon sugar; cover and set aside.
- Sprinkle each meringue with 1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate chips. Return the meringues to oven; turn off heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Spread the softened chocolate with a spatula. Cool meringues to room temperature.
- Place 1 meringue on a serving platter; spread 1 cup whipped topping over top. Arrange half of strawberry mixture over the whipped topping. Top with remaining meringue; spread 1 cup whipped topping over top. Arrange the remaining strawberry mixture over the whipped topping. Place 1 tablespoon chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until chips are soft. Stir chocolate; drizzle over top of torte.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note