This is one of those desserts that turns out even better than the recipe sounds. I would save the step of melting the chocolate chips on top of the meringue in the oven (I couldn't get them to melt to spreading consistency anyway) and melt them in the microwave to drizzle over the meringue when it comes out of the oven. Yummmmm.... tastes like more!
Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte
If you can look at this delicious strawberry chocolate meringue torte without drooling on your keyboard, then you must be dreaming.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 184
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 34.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 112mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed and divided
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 2 (8-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over, and secure with masking tape.
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half of the mixture into each circle on prepared baking sheet using the back of a spoon. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until the meringues are crisp.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1 teaspoon sugar; cover and set aside.
- Sprinkle each meringue with 1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate chips. Return the meringues to oven; turn off heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Spread the softened chocolate with a spatula. Cool meringues to room temperature.
- Place 1 meringue on a serving platter; spread 1 cup whipped topping over top. Arrange half of strawberry mixture over the whipped topping. Top with remaining meringue; spread 1 cup whipped topping over top. Arrange the remaining strawberry mixture over the whipped topping. Place 1 tablespoon chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until chips are soft. Stir chocolate; drizzle over top of torte.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts