For the braided bread basket, preheat oven to 375º F. Invert and grease a 91/2" inverted stainless steel mixing bowl. Roll out loaf of commercial bread dough (I buy it frozen) to 1/4" inch thickness, 20" x 12". Stretch it well as you roll. Cut into 1/2" wide strips, saving scraps. Drape strip over center of inverted bowl. Place a crisscross strip over the first strip. Place another strip next to the first strip, crisscrossing over the second strip. Continue until bowl is covered with overlapping, crisscrossed strips (as in the photo in the recipe. With scissors, trim the ends at the rim of the bowl. Bring scraps together and form a ball. Roll out to a 10" x 6" strip. Cut into even 1/3" strips. Braid three strips at a time, pressing the top of each braid down to seal. Join braids, overlapping strips ends with pressed top of next braid to make one long 30" braid. Place over strips at rim of bowl to make rim (as shown). Brush with egg wash. Bake 18-20 mins @ 375ºF or till golden. Cool.
You can omit the chicken, add a sprinkling of blue cheese, and serve this as a strawberry side salad with grilled steaks.
More From Southern Living
Other: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- Raspberry Vinaigrette, divided
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 2 pears, sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted
- Combine chicken and 1/2 cup Raspberry Vinaigrette in a large zip-top freezer bag. Seal and chill 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 4 minutes on each side or until done. Let chicken stand 10 minutes; slice.
- Place salad greens and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl, and gently toss. Divide mixture evenly between 4 serving plates; top with grilled chicken slices. Serve with remaining Raspberry Vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note