Strawberry-Apple Macaroon Crumble
Notes: Matzoh cake meal is available in supermarkets during the Passover season. If you're not making this dessert for Passover, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour can be substituted for matzoh cake meal, and an equal amount of cornstarch for potato starch. You can make the dessert up to 4 hours ahead; let stand at room temperature, then reheat in a 325° oven for 15 minutes before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 358
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 5.3g
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 72g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 89mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 7 ounces almond paste (about 1 cup), crumbled
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup matzoh cake meal (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 pound strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons potato starch (see notes)
- 1. In the bowl of a food processor or a standing mixer, whirl or beat almond paste and 1 cup sugar until well blended. Whirl or beat in egg whites, matzoh cake meal, and salt until well incorporated (mixture will resemble very wet cookie dough).
- 2. In a large bowl, mix apples, strawberries, lemon juice, potato starch, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Spread fruit mixture level in a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. Pat al-mond paste mixture evenly over fruit.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until topping is browned and fruit bubbles, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note