- 7 ounces almond paste (about 1 cup), crumbled
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup matzoh cake meal (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 pound strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons potato starch (see notes)
- calories 358
- caloriesfromfat 19 %
- protein 5.3 g
- fat 7.4 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- carbohydrate 72 g
- fiber 4.4 g
- sodium 89 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In the bowl of a food processor or a standing mixer, whirl or beat almond paste and 1 cup sugar until well blended. Whirl or beat in egg whites, matzoh cake meal, and salt until well incorporated (mixture will resemble very wet cookie dough).
In a large bowl, mix apples, strawberries, lemon juice, potato starch, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Spread fruit mixture level in a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. Pat al-mond paste mixture evenly over fruit.
Bake in a 350° oven until topping is browned and fruit bubbles, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes.