I made a few changes to this recipe. First, I halved the cake ingredients and made three layers. It is a very light cake- like angel food. I left the frosting amount as is and used it to cover and fill the cake. I bought strawberry jam and spread a thin layer on each of the cake layers. If you do this be careful to not overdo it with the jam because it is very sweet! But overall a great summer cake!
Strawberries and Cream Cake
We used 6 (8-inch) disposable aluminum foil cake pans, so we could fill all the pans at once. This way, if you bake the layers in batches, the second batch is ready to go in the oven as soon as the first is done.
More From Southern Living
Total: 22 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Strawberry Jam Filling
- Strawberry Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 3 ingredients and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in center of mixture; add oil, next 2 ingredients, and 1/4 cup water. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth.
- 2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into flour mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon batter into 6 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 4. Spread filling between cake layers, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edges (about 2/3 cup between each layer). Cover cake with plastic wrap, and chill 8 to 24 hours. Spread Strawberry Frosting on top and sides of cake. Chill 2 hours before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note