Pardon me for being the voice of dissent, but this was awful! Hubby and I didn't even finish it. Luckily, our dogs are not as picky eaters, LOL, they loved it! Usually Cooking Light recipes are good, but this one is a dud.
Straw and Hay Alfredo with Roasted Asparagus
This dish derives its name from the color contrast of the two types of pasta. Because it mixes the earthiness of whole wheat with the familiarity of regular pasta, it's a delicious introduction to whole-grain pastas. Truffle oil adds a pleasant, earthy undertone; you can substitute extravirgin olive oil. As with all alfredo dishes, serve immediately.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 296
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 14.5g
- Carbohydrate: 34.9g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 602mg
- Calcium: 276mg
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine first four ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add milk mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes or until mixture simmers, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Cover.
- Place asparagus on jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° 10 minutes or until browned, stirring once.
- Cook both pastas according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
- Place pastas and asparagus in a large bowl. Add cheese mixture, tossing well. Add truffle oil and pepper; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes