Followed the recipe, but used kielbasi and added diced ham. This is one of our favorite recipes!
Stovetop Red Beans and Rice
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Amy Burke
Make a big batch for company, or freeze leftovers for later.
Yield: Makes about 10 cups (serving size: about 1 cup bean mixture and 1 cup rice)
More From Southern Living
2 Hours, 45 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 397
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 18.9g
- Carbohydrate: 74.4g
- Fiber: 11.3g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 5.6mg
- Sodium: 319mg
- Calcium: 99mg
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1/2 pound andouille smoked chicken sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- Garnish: sliced green onions
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat, and soak 1 hour. Drain.
- 2. Sauté sausage and next 3 ingredients in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beans, Creole seasoning, and 7 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Serve with red bean mixture. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: We tested with Aidells Organic Fully Cooked Cajun Style Andouille Smoked Chicken Sausage.
- Try These Twists!
- Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice: Omit chicken sausage. Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1. Coarsely chop celery, green bell pepper, onion, and 1 red bell pepper. Sauté chopped vegetables and garlic in 1 Tbsp. hot olive oil 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir together vegetables, beans, Creole seasoning, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 vegetable bouillon cube, and 7 cups water in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer as directed. Season with salt to taste. Serve with rice. Makes: 10 cups.
- Per serving (about 1 cup bean mixture and 1 cup rice): Calories 373; Fat 1.1g (sat .03g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.3g); Protein 15.4g; Carb 74.9g; Fiber 11.6g; Chol 0mg; Iron 5.2mg; Sodium 377mg; Calc 81mg.
- Quick Red Beans and Rice: Substitute 2 (16-oz.) cans light kidney beans, drained and rinsed, for dried beans. Reduce Creole seasoning to 2 tsp. Prepare recipe as directed in Step 2, substituting 2 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth for 7 cups water and simmering 20 minutes. Serve with rice. Makes: about 7 cups.
- Per serving (about 1 cup bean mixture and 1 cup rice): Calories 420; Fat 3.5g (sat 1g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.2g); Protein 19.7g; Carb 76.3g; Fiber 13g; Chol 35mg; Iron 1.1mg; Sodium 490mg; Calc 65mg.
- Slow-cooker Red Beans and Rice: Omit Steps 1 and 2. Stir together first 7 ingredients and 7 cups water in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with rice. Makes: about 10 cups.
- Per serving (about 1 cup bean mixture and 1 cup rice): Calories 397; Fat 2.3g (sat 0.8g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.3g); Protein 18.9g; Carb 74.4g; Fiber 11.3g; Chol 24mg; Iron 5.6mg; Sodium 319mg; Calc 99mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note