This is my go to mac and cheese recipe. So quick and easy.
Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Photo: Bob Esparza; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 334
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 17.7g
- Carbohydrate: 40.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 661mg
- Calcium: 417mg
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- Combine milk and flour in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add pasta; toss to coat. Let stand 4 minutes.
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until the crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs, and cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in melted butter; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This