- 1 1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- calories 334
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 11 g
- satfat 6.5 g
- monofat 2.8 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 17.7 g
- carbohydrate 40.3 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- cholesterol 30 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 661 mg
- calcium 417 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
Combine milk and flour in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add pasta; toss to coat. Let stand 4 minutes.
Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until the crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs, and cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in melted butter; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture.