Stovetop Mac and Cheese with Cheese Crisps
- 8 ounce(s) extra-sharp cheddar coarsely shredded
- 4 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 4 ounce(s) Fontina coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup(s) marscarpone
- 8 ounce(s) elbow macaroni
- Sprinkle half of the cheddar onto an extra-large nonstick skillet in four 4-inch mounds. Cook over moderate heat until the cheese is lacy and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Using a flexible spatula, carefully flip each crisp and cook until golden, about 1 minute longer.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and break into large pieces.
- In a very large saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and paprika and cook over moderate heat until bubling, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until thick and creamy , about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining cheddar and the Fontina and cook over low heat until melted.
- Off the heat, stir in the mascarpone and season with salt.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Drain and add to the cheese sauce.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until hot and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mac and cheese into bowls, top with the cheese crisps and serve.
- CHEESE CRISPS CAN BE KEPT IN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER AT ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR UP TO 2 DAYS. RE-CRISP BEFORE SERVING.
- MHR NOTE: TRY ADDING SEASONING
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Redstone and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note